Thursday 15 September 2016

My definition of poverty.

Most of us have at some point in their lives have come across the infamous cliche' that says, ‘time is money’. Well, that will be the foundation of my write up today, as I seek to re define poverty from my own perspective. Poverty in its semantic definition is the state of being inferior in quality or insufficient in amount, or rather, the state of being extremely poor. Back in my country, we define poverty as the state of living below a dollar per day. Hard to believe? Well, it’s true. We have people living below a dollar a day in Kenya, while sad situation is an understatement to explain that, I would rather say it’s a catastrophe, but since there is very little I can do about it, fast forward, my topic.

A friend of mine sent me the video on this link ( Humanity Video Link) thanks to one Brian Acton and Jan Koum’s invention of whatsapp. The video touched me so much; I had to write something about it. Everything described in the video is true, critical views notwithstanding. The world is changing, while we all know that the world is changing, seemingly Charles Darwin was right, evolution is still going on, but instead, it’s on the reverse gear. We are increasingly redefining the word primitive. While early man paved way for the entry of the word primitive into the dictionary that was in respect to his language, culture and tools. We are slowly evolving into a primitive generation, I will explain that shortly.

A sneak peek into my video, which starts with a gentleman seated in a room and a highlight in the foreground that notes, big house; small family. A little ahead, more degrees; less common sense followed by advanced medicine; poor health and the point that touched me the most comes next, touched moon; neighbours unknown and lots of virtual friends; no real friends to hangout. The rest is attached on the video. Much as I would love to dwell on each of the highlighted themes on the video, I would pick on one that is very relevant to my topic above, costly watches; no time.  Rewind, my introductory statement, time is money which is logically true, but again in the video, it states that we have no time, and since I can equate the time with money, we have no money. I hope I convinced you as to why am re defining poverty.
Our lack of time is what brings in the issues of poverty. We hardly ever have time for each other, while that may be understandable, the sad truth is, and we lack time for our families. I wouldn’t have a problem if a friend had no time for me, but in family, it’s a whole lot of a different story. Both way, we lack time for everything and that’s where poverty comes from. We have more humans and less humanity, it’s true, and it’s a very sad truth. Am not trying to judge but it’s quite sad that we meet a lot of people along the streets, in the train to work, in a bus, sometimes at work and hardly ever talk. When I joined my company where I am today, it was an abomination to go to a different department and even say hi. I used to do that almost every day, and my colleagues used to tell me, I talk too much; I should restrict myself to my area of work. Which I found a little absurd. To cut the long story short, today everyone is talking to everyone. I managed to change the situation.
Imagine a workplace where you come and do your stuff, at the end of the day, you close your business and head home, the next day will come, same process and life goes on. I would be damned if depression doesn’t hug you tight enough to make you feel the last grip. We are human beings, we have to show humanity. Am one hell of a totally outgoing person, my colleagues will tell. In fact, those that hated me when I joined are now my number one fans. I sometimes start random conversations with people in the streets, sometimes in the metro and I have realized something, people really need it. Since we lack humanity, we ignore. In Dubai, you can stay in an apartment for two years and vacate that apartment without meeting your neighbor literally, leave alone talking. And if you meet, people never talk. They’ll look at you and sigh, then go ahead with their agenda.
It’s a very sad situation, and from my random conversations with strangers, it’s evidently true that people really need such kind of conversations, they are just afraid to walk out of their ego and strike a conversation. That’s why in the video, it states that we have costly watches but no time. Saying Hi to a stranger in a bus is quite harmless, I don’t think the police can arrest you for saying hi to someone. If they don’t want, leave it. We are ever on our phones, but we never talk to our families and friends, and you wonder what the phone’s purpose is. We are literally poor in everything. Humanity is losing taste, in fact it’s tasteless. I have shared a couple of conversations with some of our guests at out hotel and quite a couple have told me they came to have a peace of mind, some really thank me for sharing a conversation with them, citing they have family members in different parts of the world and it’s been years since they met and shared as a family, and that they stay alone and it’s sad because there is no one to talk to, so they come to the hotel, at least we will share a moment at the reception and laugh our lungs out. PEOPLE NEED THIS!!!
This is the point where we are losing it. There are so many cars in Dubai, and sometimes, there is traffic build up. It’s quite ironic that three out of ten cars stuck in traffic may be from people who are neighbours in the same apartment. While you can foster a relationship with your neighbours so that you can agree on a way to carpool to work, we rather as twenty five people in an apartment have our twenty five cars and head to work in almost the same place. We lost it. I can’t change that, it’s quite hard to get out of this quagmire, and am not trying to change it either, am just one person.  I would rather we meet people along the streets and say hi, extend some generosity and buy a drink, in Dubai, beverages are quite cheap. Personally, I have met people who are looking for jobs dropping CV’s at various places and some asking for direction to some places. In my perspective, it’s more than just a direction someone is asking. I offer my time and move with this particular person to a nearby restaurant, purchase some affordable meal or snacks, depending on the time of the day. That alone is enough to restore someone’s soul.
I once met a Pakistani guy while looking for a job, the U.A.E way. I didn’t know him, he didn’t know me. I was just seated somewhere next to Dubai Internet city and he came and joined me. We talked with this guy for almost two hours, he bought me lunch, and I needed it, in as much as I didn’t want to show it, but I really needed it. We talked like we had known each other for long, and that’s what most people need. After that, we all said nice to meet you and I thanked him for the treat and he wished me good luck in my job search. That’s why I don’t find it hard to return that favour to somebody else. That’s what makes us human, the human instinct that should separate us from animals. People have time, they just rather sit alone with their phones and get depressed silently and die slowly. The Pakistani guy I met spared two hours, a whole two hours for me. How many of us have more than that? Cutting out five minutes of your time to share with that person seated next to you in a bus, or train or the person in front of you in a restaurant is no big deal. In fact if you are in a restaurant and someone is sitting alone, request to join them and spark a conversation. That is enough to restore humanity. But since we have expensive watches and no time, we may as well die poor. . . .

No comments:

Happy New Year

Its 2018, time for the new year, new me all-time famous cliché. Well, it is a new year, that’s true, but just like any other day, nothing m...