Sunday 6 March 2016

DUBAI THROUGH MY EYES 2

DUBAI THROUGH MY EYES 2

International city phase 2, early in the morning, I woke up earlier than everyone, with a feeling of excitement caressing my body. The room was not so big, just a studio apartment at Ginco Building (as it was referred to). I walked up to the balcony and inhaled the first Dubai breeze and for the first time, I felt like an Arab. I loved the environment though, I had to move back in the house, help in planning the house and leaving to run errands. I’ll skip the house and jump straight to the highway. Sheikh Zayed Road it is, seated in the back seat of my uncle’s Honda civic vehicle. My eyes were all glued to the tall buildings I saw along the highway. My African instincts kept on telling me to ask questions about everything I saw like we always do it back home and it seems okay. But I had to play cool, because I had a feeling I was going to ask like a million questions in one minute. I just had to wait till I alighted from the vehicle. I felt like there is way too much to see here.
Every moment was captivating, everything was breathtaking. We dropped at a metro station; I vividly remember clearly, it was Jumeira Metro Station. Upon coming out, my eyes met two Chevrolet limousines parked beside the metro station. My African instincts told me to take a photo just next to the Limo, but I had to play cool, like I’ve seen such a vehicle in my country back home in Africa. Well, back home, there are Limo’s but apparently they are parked at designated places where common folks like me cannot even think about going to, because they are vehicles used by the high and mighty. So that leaves me with the option of having seen a trailer as the longest vehicle in my life.
I went through the automated doors and was amazed at the quick response to my presence right in front of it. To be honest, I never knew it was automated, so I stood at the entrance and bent my hips forty five degrees and peeping left and right wanting to thank whoever opened the door for me as it is a courtesy call to thank anyone who welcomes you. Apparently, to my utter surprise, it was a computerized set up. One word, Wow! Every moment, every step I took, everything I saw amazed me. I met people, although they were busy, just like in any developed Nation, people have to be busy walking to and from their various places of work, which was okay according to me. In the metro station, I purchased a metro card and loaded it with the help of my sister. A few instructions passed by as to how to behave in the metro station, what to do and what not to do. All these were for the purpose of avoiding fines and police hullabaloos. In the metro, we checked in the first cabin and I could see Dubai from inside the metro and it was spectacular, amazing, breathtaking, awesome, let me just say all vocabularies that could mean anything that can amaze your instincts. “You are in Dubai dude, wake up and smell your see your dream” I had always wanted to be in Dubai, and now I was in Dubai. Dreams come true, I believe. That was just an eighth of the many dreams that had been fulfilled.
Just then I heard, “Al mahapel kordi mahia, Madina to Dubai del internet” And an English translation followed suit, just to save me off my little knowledge of the Arabic lingua, “The next station is, Dubai Internet City” I smiled and told myself, this is Dubai. . .


No comments:

Happy New Year

Its 2018, time for the new year, new me all-time famous cliché. Well, it is a new year, that’s true, but just like any other day, nothing m...